Thursday, November 27, 2008

Jonas's Diary From The Book: "The Giver"



First Day as a Receiver

The first day as a receiver, I received the memories about snow. I receive the memory from an old man in the annex. Before I receive the memory, I must learn all the rules from the Book of Rules. The first time I learn, I can’t describe the comparison. I began to learn the coldness of cold air and snowflakes. After I received the memory, I learned another memory about sunshine and sunburn. That memory was also painful and it was not very pleasant to have, but it’s an honor to receive the memory. I was confused to call what the old man that gives me the memories. I asked him and he said to call me “The Giver”.

Second Day as a Receiver

The second day as a receiver, I learned that it’s not really hard to obey the rules, because my family didn’t question me much, and I think they are too busy describing each of their assignments. Back to the annex, I met The Giver, and he transferred me the memories about colors, and I began to see the different colors in my daily life. For example, I saw the color red for an apple, and I also saw that Fiona’s hair was red too. I was mad and confused why can’t other people knows all of these memories. I was mad because people can’t make choices and it’s all sameness in life. It’s not fair. The Giver told me that being a Receiver is not an easy thing to do. I can’t tell what I learned to other people, even my spouse in the future. Besides the memories of colors, The Giver gave me the memories about strong pain, so that I can bear some of The Giver’s pain for him.

Third Day as a Receiver

On the third day as receiver, I again had given the memory riding a sled. The difference was now I know the pain when I broke my leg when riding a sled.
The memory was so painful, so The Giver said sorry that he had to gave that memory, but it was he’s job to give that memory, and I went home. When Gbriel can’t sleep, and I was so sad, I desperately transfer the memory of silent, and she felt asslep.

Jonathan
Grade 9




.

No comments: